Dear friends, having failed in few businesses which required investments, I turned to consulting for the simple reason that I live in times where people thrive on cheating other people , the government and the society and I was not capable to get my hard earned money back from the people who used my products. Consulting is a compulsion for me as I can dig into my left over meager resources and in consulting if ever I loose some thing I loose my time and brain and I don't erode my saving. Many of us may be in similar situation.
One of the things I need to do is find ways to keep costs as low as possible and still grow. I have got assignments from word to mouth publicity and my business is growing. The most important thing in business is also to create a recall by establishing a brand. there are many good products, people and services which have not been recognized due to poor branding. I don't have the money to advertise on Airports or Roads or TV or Magazine like Forbes so I am taking the following steps which I would like to share.
1. Target- I identified that my target audience are the Technologists, Top management professionals.
2. Where do I find them ?  These people are not found on railway stations or streets, they are found in exhibitions, seminars, Airports.
3. I Bought few shirts and got logos ( Sammy Consulting)  printed / stitched at 10 Rs a piece.
4. I got to airports an hour early during my travel days and walk up and down the airport and I can see people looking at my shirt logo first. This walking helps me with exercise and I am a walking 10 Rs bill board, with the target audience looking at my name. Since my travel is funded by my clients I leverage this opportunity to brand my firms name.
5. I have a car and friends car and i stick my sticker on the rear window and its a moving publicity.
6. I attend as many trade fairs as possible and many times funded by my clients and I flaunt my shirts there. I visit each and every stall and expose myself. Some day I may have my stall when I can afford it.
7/ I conduct training programs and I wear my shirt there too and every customer visit I wear my shirt with the logo.
8/ I put my log in every mail and mail reply.
9/ And then we have social media which every one knows, I have a blog also at a very low cost and I keep writing blogs every day which takes ten minutes.
Advertising is about repeatedly exposing the brand to the target audience at minimum possible cost over the years. Do you thing expensive brands like Mont Blanc, or William Penn, having their expensive shops in Indian malls making any money. They hardly sell a pen a day but they are doing long term branding for an India twenty years for now and they need to be present even if they don't make cash profit but its one way of long term branding.