Having traveled to the west over 100 times I have realized one major reason why quality has been the most major aspect of product or service. It is the result of the major mind set that we should not create inconvenience for the next person. Its about the sensitivity to the inconvenience of the other person.
There are designated places for handicaps  toilet, car parks,
designated place for old people, people holding doors for the next person to get in , hearing a honk from the next person makes them apologetic etc etc.
Having learned this I once went to McDonalds at Pune my cultured city and as I opened the door i just kept holding the door for the next person and at least 15 people went in one by one thinking of me as a door keeper and my American sister in law was laughing at me.
The single most reason if you need to to build a quality is to have the feeling that if some one who uses my product or service should not be inconvenience  and quality will come on its own.
I feel this is one biggest reason which results into a quality out put, the feeling I should not be a inconvenience to others.